Fontana has its name due to several fresh-water springs which can be found in this town, in fact Fontana means a spring in Italian. Originally Fontana was a suburb of the city of Rabat, the Gozitan capital but as more inhabitants established themselves in this area it became a town of its own.
An important well-known landmark situated in Fontana is L-Ghajn tal-Hasselin (the washers' spring) which consists of arched shelters built over the spring in the 16th centuary. This was meant to facilitate the job of people who used the spring to do their laundry. L-Ghajn tal-Hasselin is still in operation today and you can still spot locals doing their laundry in it like the old days.
The Parish church of Fontana was built from the savings that villagers deligently kept aside. The church dedicated to the Sacred Heart of Jesus was consecrated in 1905 and became an independent Parish six years later. The village feast is celebrated on the second or third Sunday of June and it is a nice festivity which highly awaited by the locals.