Xewkija has its name derived from the Arabic and Maltese word for thistles, possibly due to the thistles present at the time around the area. This village was the first to separate from Rabat as an independent parish in 1678.
The chapel Tal-Madonna tal-Hniena, or the Blessed Virgin Mary of Mercy, is dedicated to St Bartholomew and is known to exist since 1397. The village church is the biggest of the island and is dedicated to St. John The Baptist. The village feast is celebrated on 26 June.
This village is characterized by several remarkable buildings in the village, such as the windmill built during the time of the Knights, the tower of Santa Cecilja and the famous marble stone of Majmuna. This stone has an Arabic writing dating back to 1173 and commemorates the death of an Arab girl, however the pagan symbols on its underside indicate that previously it was in a pagan temple.
Mgarr ix-Xini, which means Galley Port is situated in the limits of Xewkija. It is a steep sided rivulet at the mouth of a deep valley which provided shelter during stormy weather as well as being an astonishing natural beauty. Wied Mgarr ix-Xini (the valley) has a variety of different types of plant and animal life.
Il-Qniepen (the Bells), is a cave containing stalagmites which served as a home for cavemen.
Nowadays, in Xewkija you can find some of the most important buildings of the island, including; the University of Malta (Gozo Section), the Employment & Training Corporation offices, the Industrial Estate and the Government Farm, as well as the Gozo Stadium.
|Male / Female||48.97% / 51.03%|
|Population density||733 per km2|
|Average price||€ 251,086|
|Average price per m2||€ 1,303|
|Sold in the last 30 days||4|
|Currently for sale||61|