In the Northern part of Gozo between Ta' Abram and Iz-Zebbug hills one can find the village of Zebbug. The name of this village comes from the Maltese word for Olive Tree and therefore it is thought that in the village plenty of olive trees were grown in the past.
Evidence from the Bronze Age (1500-700BC) was found on the hill of Ta' Kuljat and on the route towards Qbajjar, a bay neighboring Marsalforn, several Punic tombs (700-218 BC) were discovered. In 1688 Zebbug was acknowledged as an independent Parish, with a Church devoted to Santa Marija, the Assumption.
Traditional culture is prevalent in the village and this is evidenced by the high devotion to the Church and careful upkeep of the street niches which house holy figures to watch over the village streets. In addition there is abundant participation by villagers in the local clubs such as the Shooting Range, Band Club and Bocci Club, which are the heart of community social relations, and also in the high quality traditional crafts such as basket weaving, lace and woolen blankets produced by the villagers. Until quite recently, farming, loom and wool were the main occupations in Zebbug.
|Male / Female||51.71% / 48.29%|
|Population density||389 per km2|
|Average price||€ 171,685|
|Average price per m2||€ 1,186|
|Sold in the last 30 days||5|
|Currently for sale||126|