Since the Middle Ages, Birkirkara has been the largest and the most populated locality in Malta. Archeological findings indicate that there has been inhabitants in the area in prehistoric, Punic and Roman times.
In 1436, this locality was one of the first twelve medieval parishes of Malta with widespread limits which included Sliema and St Julians. Birkirkara now consists of four independent parishes, namely St Helen, St Joseph, Our Lady of Mount Carmel and St Mary. The Collegiate Basilica has the largest church bell in Malta and is dedicated to St. Helena (Santa Liena), the patron of Birkirkara's major religious feast.
During the Second World War, Birkirkara was regarded as Malta's emergency capital. Various government administrative establishments and artistic treasures were relocated to this city, away from the harbour and its endless air-raids.
Birkirkara today hosts all kinds of small businesses and two main industrial areas. Birkirkara�s center is still characterised by the traditional winding narrow streets and alleyways but the village has grown with modern buildings as well. A number of windmills, can be found in this locality with Ta' Ganu windmill hosting regular art exhibitions. The Old Railway Station, situated within a public garden that splits the older area of Birkirkara from the newer one. The station lays on the line that ran from Rabat to Valletta, but this was shut down in 1931. Grand Master Wignacourt in the 17th Century built the Aquaducts which ran in the same line, carrying water from the high ground to the capital. Today the Aquaducts remains can be found in the Mriehel area.
One should be aware that huge amounts of rain gather when there is heavy rainfalls and it causes floods in this locality. This is due to the fact that the town was built along a valley leading from Naxxar to the sea in Msida.
|Male / Female||49.25% / 50.75%|
|Population density||8,240 per km2|
|Average price||€ 310,275|
|Average price per m2||€ 1,919|
|Sold in the last 30 days||43|
|Currently for sale||1156|