Pembroke is a small new town which has several historic buildings from the time of the Knights of the Order of St John and the British era. Two Watch Towers on the beautiful coast of Pembroke were originally built by the Knights. The British built a military base with training grounds in this locality, including fortifications, a battery and barracks built around 1859-1899. This town in fact, was named after Robert Henry Herbert, the 12th Earl of Pembroke and British Secretary at War in 1859. The military heritage of Pembroke comprises a Military Cemetery and a small chapel built by the German prisoners of war which served the troops. In 1979, the Maltese Government abandoned the military base in Pembroke.
The barracks were converted into residential dwellings and sold for residential houses. Pembroke has since advanced to become a beautiful and fairly green residential town with a lovely stretch of coast. Pembroke was declared as an independent Parish in 2004 dedicated to the Resurrection of Christ, nevertheless it does not hold a traditional village feast.
The most famous highlight of the town is the Clockwise of Pembroke (1903). The Fortress of Pembroke (1879), which is today used as an international school, served as a guard of the Victoria Lines and the coast leading to the Grand Harbour. The Pembroke Battery (1899), is today a museum, the Sheds (1859) is housing, and the Pembroke Ranges, which are still used today as training facilities for the Armed Forces of Malta. Harq Hamiem cave is extraordinary in its geology formation, comprising a very deep fresh water lake, to which access is restricted. Harq Hamiem valley is home to around 400 species of plants, some of which are considered rare.
|Male / Female||49.56% / 50.44%|
|Population density||1,585 per km2|
|Average price||€ 666,095|
|Average price per m2||€ 3,175|
|Sold in the last 30 days||3|
|Currently for sale||65|