Gharghur is one of the smallest rural villages in Malta. The village is built around the Church area, having solely basic commercial activities to serve the residents.
The locality is home to the Islamic house in Triq il-Gdida and an old bakery in Sqaq Warda which are quite beautiful remains of the Arabic period. The Lieutenant's Palace, from 1803, is situated in the North of the village. The streets are typical Maltese characterized by narrow winding streets with niches containing religious statues in the corners.
Gharghur used to form part of the Naxxar local council until it became an independent Parish in 1610. The large parish Church in use today was consecrated in 1736. The interior of church, is in the shape of a latin cross and is very rich in appearance. Since its consecration, the church has been enhanced with marble, stone carving, wood-work, gilding, silverware, bells and various works of art by artists of note. The statue of St Bartholomew, to whom the Church is dedicated, is hewn from a tree trunk and is one of the most beautiful statues on the island. The feast in this village is held towards the end of August.
As a typical old village, Gharghur also has numerous small chapels some of which are very old. The chapel dedicated to St.John the Baptist, dates from 1225 A.D. Two small chapels dedicated to the Assumption of Our Lady, one known as "Ta' Bernarda", and the other as "Taz-Zellieqa" also date from the mid-sixteenth century.
The Semaphore Tower and the Gharghur Signal Tower are two historical buildings situated in this locality that acted as observation points. In fact Gharghur is located on top of a hill and is surrounded by valleys. The Victoria Lines, which is a low defence wall built in 1878-80 along the cliff, run along this village.